Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hot Summer Day in East Tennessee



Whew! It's hot!!! We are having a heat wave in East TN and unfortunately for us the only place the twins want to be is OUTSIDE! We have succumbed to playing baseball in the house (don't tell Grandma). Since the daycare has been closed it has fallen on me to keep them entertained each day. Thats a tall order with these temperatures. For those of you who know me - heat and I are not friends! I can go from zero to "not nice" in mere milliseconds (just ask Randy).

Due to the heat, I have decided that outside play is not acceptable without a way to cool off. This leads me to another dilemma. We don't own a pool and my husband isn't especially fond of running the water hose to slip-n-slide or sprinkle so we have to travel to swimming facilities (or the lake). Problem #2 - GAS PRICES! We have a season pass to Dollywood's Splash Country but can't afford the gas to go. We also like to go to the Oak Ridge pool but that also takes gas.


Today's temperatures required desperate measures so I improvised. I dragged out last year's inflatable kiddie pool, blew it up (with air pump in the garage, of course), scrubbed out last year's mildew, doused all children with sunscreen, threw them in, and filled 'er up. Let the fun begin!


Micah and Carson are always up for a good time with a hose. Corbyn and her friend, Beccah wanted in on the action but had to wait their turn. Micah and Carson had a ton of laughs and were so content as I sat in the shaded garage with sweat rolling down my back. The prep work was well worth the smiles I got in return (and we saved on gas!). There is a final dilemma though. If you look closely at the pics you will notice that when the boys got in there were two levels (tiers) in the pool but by the time Corbyn and Beccah got in, the lower level had deflated. Guess we'll need to spend some of our birthday money...



No comments: